Allow me to introduce myself and this blog/website.
I am an independent destination marketing consultant who specializes in developing tourism and destination marketing plans that are R.U.R.A.L. (Realistic, Unique, Relevant, Achievable and Linked to local values and visions.)
The idea to develop this business came from:
- my history with and love for the tourism industry;
- my experiences working with tourism industry organizations and small tourism related businesses;
- the success and recognition I’ve received from working in the Alberta tourism industry for other organizations; and,
- the numerous requests I’ve received from contacts in my professional network for industry related marketing and promotional advice, assistance with event planning, speaking engagements, participation on boards of directors and advisory committees and professional input on various tourism development projects.
Through my work for non-profit organizations and municipalities over the past several years, I have built a strong reputation in the tourism industries in both Ontario and Alberta, Canada, especially in regards to developing and implementing creative marketing plans for small towns and small businesses.
I recently decided to step down from my position as Tourism Coordinator for the Town of Vulcan, Alberta to start my own business doing tourism marketing, promotions and project management, as well as some public speaking on an independent contract basis.
My expertise focuses on:
1) producing tourism development and marketing strategies for small businesses, rural municipalities and non-profit organizations,
2) event planning, and
3) pop-culture tourism.
As I develop this blog, I hope to fill it with thoughts and ideas related to my experiences in tourism marketing and pop-culture tourism. I also look forward to sharing the inspiring and practical stories, ideas and opportunities related to rural tourism marketing that I come across in my travels – both in cyberspace and the real world.